HRG Airline Coupe by Crofts

Car producer : 

HRG

Model:

Airline Coupe by Crofts

Year:

1938

Type:

Coupe



HRG Engineering Company also known as HRG, was a British car manufacturer based in Tolworth, Surrey. Founded in 1936 by Major Edward Halford, Guy Robins and Henry Ronald Godfrey, it took its name from the first letter of their surnames. Cars were produced under the HRG name from 1935 to 1956. Having raced together at Brooklands, Ron Godfrey approached Major Edward Halford in 1935 as regards the development of a new sports car. Having shown the prototype in late 1935, the company was formed in 1936 with Guy Robins formerly of Trojan joining as the third partner. Taking space at the premises of the Mid-Surrey Gear Company in Hampden Road, Norbiton, the cars were heavily influenced in their design by Godfrey's previous long involvement — from 1909 — with both the GN company and subsequently Frazer Nash.

The first Meadows-engined HRG cost £395, about half the cost of the 1.5-litre Aston Martin, and weighed almost 1000 pounds (450 kg) less.

In 1938 the Company announced the 1100cc model using an OHC engine from Singer's Bantam Nine. and then in 1939 they also started using the OHC 1500cc Singer Twelve later Singer Roadster engine in place of the old OHV Meadows unit.

Post-war, the 1100 and 1500 2-seaters continued being made to the same pre-war design. HRG also commenced manufacturing the Aerodynamic model on basically the same vintage chassis.

In 1950 Guy Robins left the company and S. R. Proctor joined as technical director, having been associated with Godfrey on the ill-fated Godfrey-Proctor in the 1920s. Sports car production ended in 1956 after 241 cars had been made, although the company remained in business as an engineering concern and as a development organisation for others, including Volvo. In 1965, they made a prototype Vauxhall VX 4/90-powered sports car. The company ceased trading in 1966, making a profit until the end.

Of the 241 cars made, it is estimated that 225 survive. Many of the cars are still in active use, with a few in active competition. Some are competing in classic trials, others compete in VSCC races with success.

The cars are commonly called "Hurgs" by their owners, and have an owners organisation in the HRG Association.

The 1938 HRG Airline Coupe is a one-off British sports car powered by a 1.5 liter Triumph Gloria engine and gearbox. It was made by HRG Engineering Company (which produced cars between 1935 and 1956) with a body by Crofts Coachbuilding.

The frame was a widened chassis of the Halford-Cross Rotary Special race car, it was painted green and rechristened as Chassis #WT-68. The rear section of the car was a second series of the distinctive MG Airline coupe with a sliding sunroof and an enclosed rear spare manufactured by Carbodies, now known as Manganese Bronze Holdings (traded as London Taxi Company). The fenders and bonnet (hood) were unique to the HRG and were formed by A. Crofts of the Crofts Coachbuilding firm which also assembled the body. Brakes are 4 wheel mechanical drum, suspension is independent up front with Semi-Elliptical leaf springs with floating axle in the rear.

Under the custom hand beaten hood lies a 55-horsepower Triumph 1496cc engine with dual SU side-draft carburetors, the same one as the Triumph Dolomite and Triumph Gloria.

Sold for: 176000 USD
Go to restoration
See other models
to top