Packard 30 UD Seven Passanger Touring

Car producer : 

Packard

Model:

30 UD Seven Passanger Touring

Year:

1907-1912

Type:

Touring



The Packard Model 30 frequently also called Model U, was a four-cylinder car built in several series from 1907-1912. Together with the smaller Model 18 (1908-1912) it was Packard's last four-cylinder automobile. Model 30 was Packard's lone offering for 1907 and 1908. It established Packard as a luxury car maker.

The Packard Model 30 was a four-cylinder car with both closed and open bodies. Open models, limousine and landaulet. Standard equipment included oil lamps, a tool kit, and two extra demountable rims. The closed cars also included speaking tubes, adjustable ventilators and a dome light that had a separate battery. There was a speedometer and an air-pressure gauge. Wheelbase was 123 1/2" for the standard chassis.

The Packard Model 30 had a water-cooled, 4-cylinder, T-head engine delivering 30 hp (N.A.C.C.) at 650 rpm. displacing 431.9 cubic inches (7078 cubic centimeters) with a bore 5 in. (127 mm) and a stroke of 5.5 in. (139.7 mm)

A plate clutch was blocked with the engine. Power was transmitted by a long shaft with universal joints to the 3-speed sliding-gear manual gearbox with reverse. This was located in a housing at the rear axle which also contained the differential. The car used shaft drive from the beginning although many other high-powered cars at this time relied on double-chain drive.

A longer wheelbase and larger wheels were part of the 1908 Model 30 (also referred to as the UA). The frame was lower to the ground. A bayonet-type locking radiator cap became standard, replacing the previous screw cap style. A new body style was introduced, the close-coupled touring with a one-person rumble seat.

In 1909, redesigned linkage in the transmission made it possible for the reverse gear to be activated with the regular gear-shift. Since 1904, all Packards had had a separate lever for the reverse gear.

Just a few changes in 1909 for the Model 30. The radiator was revised to a cellular type, and a four-gallon reserve gasoline tank was added. A new linkage assembly eliminated the necessity for the separate reverse lever that had been present on all Packards since 1904. The hooded front fenders were added, with mud guards placed between frame and running boards. UB was the designation for all body styles, except for the short wheelbase runabout that was designated UBS.

1910 changes for the Model 30 UC included replacement of the expanding ring clutch (which had been fitted for a half decade) with a dry plate type, and the addition of shock absorbers as standard equipment to smooth out the suspension. The front fenders were larger, the mud guards between them and the body deeper. Also bigger was the steering wheel, its wood rim now extending to the wheel's periphery and to part of the spokes. A phaeton body style was added.

The ladder-type frame used semi-elliptical leaf springs front and rear. Steering included now ball bearings instead of roller types, and featured a Pitman arm in front of the front axle.

Brakes were mechanical on the rear wheels only, working either by pedal (external contracting) or lever (internal expanding). Following the Owner's Manual, each was sufficient for stopping under normal conditions.

Sold for: 329500 USD
Go to restoration
See other models

You may also like these cars

to top