Jaguar XK150 3,4 Drophead Coupe

Car producer : 

Jaguar

Model:

XK150 3,4 Drophead Coupe

Year:

1958-1960

Type:

Cabriolet



Although bearing a family resemblance to the XK120 and XK140, the XK150 was radically revised. A one-piece windscreen replaced the split screen, and the wing line no longer dropped so deeply at the doors. The widened bonnet opened down to the wings, and on the Roadster the windscreen frame was moved back 4 inches (102 mm) to make the bonnet longer. The car was available at various times in Red, Pearl Grey, White, Indigo Blue, Claret, Cotswold Blue, Black, Mist Grey, Sherwood Green, Carmen Red, British Racing Green, Cornish Grey, and Imperial Maroon.

The XK140's walnut dashboard was replaced by one trimmed in leather. On the early Drophead Coupés, the aluminum center dash panel, which was discontinued after June 1958, had an X pattern engraving similar to the early 3.8 E-type. Thinner doors gave more interior space. On the front parking lights, which were located atop the wings (fenders), a little red light reminded the driver the lights were on.

Suspension and chassis were very similar to the XK140, and steering was by rack and pinion; power steering was not offered. The standard engine, the similar to the XK140, but with an new "B" type cylinder head, was the 3.4 liter DOHC Jaguar straight-6 rated at 180 SAE HP at 5750 rpm but most cars were fitted with the SE engine whose modified cylinder head (B type) and larger exhaust valves boosted the power to 210 SAE HP at 5500 rpm. Twin 1.75-inch (44 mm) SU HD6 carburetters were fitted.

While the first XK150s were slower than their predecessors, the deficit was corrected in the spring of 1958 with a 3.4-litre "S" engine whose three 2-inch (51 mm) SU HD8 carburetters and straight-port cylinder head increased power to a claimed 250 SAE HP.

For 1960, the 3.4 liter engine was bored to 3.8 liters, rating this option at 220HP (164 kW; 223 PS) in standard tune or 265HP (198 kW; 269 PS) in "S" form. A 3.8 liter 150S could top 135 mph (217 km/h) and go from 0–60 mph in around 7.0 seconds. Fuel economy was 18mpg. Four-wheel Dunlop 12 in (305 mm) disc brakes appeared for the first time although it was theoretically possible to order a car with drums. When leaving the factory the car originally fitted either 6.00 × 16 inch Dunlop Road Speed tires as standard, or you could specify 185VR16 Pirelli Cinturato CA67 as a radial option on either 16 × 5K½ solid wheels (basic models) or 16 × 5K wire wheels.

Production ended in October 1960 and totaled 2265 Roadsters, 4445 Fixed Head Coupés and 2672 Drophead Coupés.

A 250HP 3.4 liter XK150S Fixed-Head Coupé with limited slip differential was tested by The Motor in 1959. It had a top speed of 132 mph (212 km/h) and could accelerate from 0–60 mph (97 km/h) in 7.8 seconds. Fuel consumption of 22.0 miles per imperial gallon 12.8 L/100 km.

Sold for: 144950 GBP
Go to restoration
See other models

You may also like these cars

to top