Clement Talbot 15Hp 10/30HP Works Hill-climber

Car producer : 

Clement

Model:

Talbot 15Hp 10/30HP Works Hill-climber

Year:

1913

Type:

Roadster



Clément-Talbot Limited was a British motor vehicle manufacturer with its works in Ladbroke Grove, North Kensington, London, founded in 1902. It was renamed Sunbeam-Talbot Limited in 1938.

The new business's capital was arranged by the Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot, shareholders included automobile manufacturer, Adolphe Clément, along with Baron A. Lucas and Emile Lamberjack all of France.

The shareholders sold it in late 1919 to the company that became S T D Motors. It kept its separate identity making cars designed specially for it or by its employees until 1934. After S T D's financial collapse it was bought by the Rootes brothers. In 1938 they renamed it Sunbeam-Talbot Limited.

The first Talbots, re-badged Clément-Bayards built in France, were sold by the British Automobile Commercial Syndicate Limited, manager Daniel M Weigel, from the Earl's premises at 97-98 Long Acre, which included Maison Talbot, importers of Michelin tyres. The earl's flourishing business was the importation, distribution through a large British network and retailing of many brands of European motor cars and associated products. It brought about the close association with businessman Adolphe Clément. The earl closed this business in 1909, when its only advertised brand was Spyker, because it seemed to be foolish to compete with his own Talbot dealers.

On 11 October 1902 Clément-Talbot was formally incorporated "to carry on business as manufacturers of and dealers in horseless carriages and motor-cars, air-ships and the component parts thereof". 5 acres (20,000 m2) later lifted to 28 acres (110,000 m2) of land were purchased for a new factory in Ladbroke Grove, North Kensington, alongside the Great Western Railway line and between Wormwood Scrubs and the Kensal Green Cemetery. The housing estate now on the site has Shrewsbury Street as its main access-way.

Cars made in France are marked with an asterisk

an 8-18 with two more cylinders, 1454 cc. Weight and price were both up 75 per cent, power up 50 per cent. Mitigated by "delightful" gearbox, and light and accurate controls. Further mitigated the following year by an increased bore so its capacity was now 1612 cc. Neither popular nor successful it is only remembered for being the first Talbot Six.

Brown's new range for 1913, featured stronger crankcases, crankshafts and connecting rods, larger water jackets and valves and full pressure lubrication, all of which gave them greater development potential for competition. This took the form of higher valve lift and increased engine speeds thanks to special lightweight pistons and light but strong connecting rods. It is also likely that higher compression ratios were used. Power outputs for the 20/30 (also known as the 15hp) and 25/50 competition power units were claimed in period, respectively as 117bhp and 132bhp - at 3,000rpm.

To launch this new range the Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot commissioned a streamlined single-seater based on the chassis of the smallest car in the line up, the 12hp, fitted with the competition 25hp engine with the intention of breaking the world's record for one hour, and to exceed 100 miles in that time. Brown's colleague and friend Percy Lambert drove. The first attempt at Brooklands Motor Course was lost due to tyre failure but the second attempt in February 1913 was an outstanding success, Lambert completing 103.84 miles within the hour making him the fastest man in the world at the time, and attracting huge press coverage.

Sold for: 169500 GBP
Go to restoration
See other models
to top