Packard 1803 One-Sixty Super Eight 1379 Convertible Coupe by Rollson

Car producer : 

Packard

Model:

1803 One-Sixty Super Eight 1379 Convertible Coupe by Rollson

Year:

1940-1941

Type:

Cabriolet



Packard Super Eight was the name given to the larger of the two eight cylinder luxury automobiles produced by the Packard Motor Car Company of Detroit, Michigan. It shared frames and some body types with the top model Packard Twelve. Following the discontinuation of the Seventeenth Series Packard Twelve after the 1939 model year, a new Super Eight One-Eighty was derived from the Super Eight as the new top car range. The Super Eight was renamed the Packard Super Eight One-Sixty. These two models shared most mechanical components including the 160 HP straight Eight engine.

The Super 8 180 was Packard's most senior automobile. The 180 Series offered standard with dual sidemounts and a trunk rack. 1940 was also Packard's first year for the column shift transmission and the last year for the independent free standing headlamps. With a 356 cubic-inch inline eight and an overdrive transmission the Packard 180 was designed for boulevard touring and high speed road travel.

By the 1940s, the top of the line Packards were known as the Super Eight 160 and the Custom Super Eight 180. Both were powered by a 160 horsepower engine which was powerful enough to carry the stately bodies. These two series were distinguished by a number of visual items such as hubcaps and hood louvers. The 160 was given a 'flying lady' mascot while the 180 carried the cormorant.

The 1940 Packard Custom Super-8 had three sub-series, the 1806, 1807, and 1808. The 1806 cars had a wheelbase size of 127-inches. The 1807 had a 138-inch platform and the 1808 cars rested on a large 148-inch wheelbase. All had the same tire sizes of 7.00 x 16. Included in the 1806 were the Club Sedan and the Darrin bodied Convertible Victoria. The 1808 series included the touring limousine, sedan, and the Rollson The custom body era was drawing to a close by 1940 but Packard continued to offer a line of catalogued custom offerings. This convertible sedan by Darrin is one of the rarest with just 11 built, of which an amazing 9 survive. Designer Howard 'Dutch' Darris is probably best remembered for the flamboyant open cars he created for Hollywood celebrities.

All-Weather Town car. The remaining bodystyles were 1807.

After 1942, Packard concentrated on the new Clipper styling that was developed for an upper-class sedan the previous year. There were Super Clippers and Custom Super Clipper in the One-Sixty and One-Eighty tradition until 1947. After a heavy facelift, the name Clipper was dropped. The most senior Super Eight One-Eighty became the Custom Eight, while its slightly lower-priced sibling, the Super Eight One-Sixty, once again became simply the Super Eight. Clipper Custom Super Eights and Custom Eights were very close relatives to their respective Super models, distinguished outside by the lack of an eggcrate grille and small rear chrome trim moulding under t he trunk lid on Supers. In 1949, a new Super Eight Deluxe was added to the line. This car had also the Custom Eight's eggcrate grille, but not the rear trim.

The entire range of Packard's motorcars was renamed for the 1951 model year (twenty-fourth series), when the Super Eight was renamed 300, thus bringing to a close the long reign of the Packard Super Eight.

Founded in 1920 by Harry Loenschein and some associates, this coachbuilding firm on the west side of New York City was closely identified with Packard throughout its career, although they also built bodies other chassis. Their early styling tended to be conservative, but the quality of the workmanship and finish of their bodies gained the approval of Grover Parvis at Packard's New York branch.

He ordered some small series of town cars from them, and also called on Rollston for special individual bodies for his most particular customers. Roadsters and phaetons came from the plant as well, and in the early `thirties they built some attractive convertibles, but a good proportion of their bodies mete formal town cats.

When Holbrook closed their doors in 1930, Ro1İston acquired some of their equipment and took on a good portion of their staff.

By 1937, some formal Panel Broughams on the smaller Model 120 chassis were ordered by Packard in an effort to stem the decline in demand for such vehicles by offering them at a lower price. A few were sold, but the day of the coachbuilt town cat seemed over, and Mr. Loenschein decided to liquidate the company.

Rudy Cteteur, who had done the designing and engineering and by now managed the shop, was more sanguine and purchased the bulk of the company's assets at auction. He set up a new firm of similar name, The Ro1İson Company, and over the next few years turned out some more elegant Packard town cars. The war put a stop to this, but Rollson stayed in business making galley equipment for submarines. A new plant in P1ainvìew, Long Island, was built to handle the expanding volume and remains in business making similar items and yacht and steamship windows, but, alas, no coachbuilt bodies.

Sold for: 390500 USD
Go to restoration
See other models

You may also like these cars

to top