The orders for the only car available, the 6C 2500, will be divided among various body shops: Alfa decided to start its own production for 6-seater sedan Freccia d`Oro, which, given is characteristic sporty qualities, became more of a berlinetta with the true Alfa flair.
1947 marks the introduction of that which could be defined as the true Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 series, the Freccia d`Oro. It had been in production since 1946, the year in which it was prepared only a prototype. The 6C 2500 Freccia d'Oro (Golden Arrow) was the first post war Alfa Romeo. 680 were built until 1951, with bodies by Alfa Romeo. The car was a berlinetta body style with 5-6 seats based on the 2500 Sport. It has a wheelbase of 3,000 millimetres (120 in) and it weighs 1,550 kilograms (3,420 lb). With a 4-speed manual gearbox this 90 bhp (67 kW), 5hp less than the previous Sports model, car could achieve a top speed of 155 kilometres per hour (96 mph).
In the first models built the front was not the final version with beautiful lines flush to the body that soon disappeared, leaving room to the unified ones for all post-war 6C 2500 cars. Even the interior was initially more simple designed: they mainly differed by the steering wheel and more horizontal dashboard instrument layout. A more refined interior is later adopted with the “Ŗevelli type” two-spoke steering wheel as called in official Alfa drawings. The heart-shaped badge Was happily abandoned, since it was too refined in terms of detail and not in keeping with the clean styling of cars, like the ornaments similar to the ancient coats of arms around the cross and the snake in the first anonymous attempt.
Towards the end 1947, a convertible version based on the Freccia d`Oro sedan was contemplated the poor finishing of the plaster model suggests that designers of Alfa Romeo`s bodywork department didn`t go further into detail with this exercise. It should be borne in mind that the two-door sedan going to join the contemporary production, while such a cabriolet would have effectively been an overlap with the Pinin Farina version, but the massive effort that had already been made to develop the assembly line of the Freccia d`Oro absorbed all of Alfa Romeo`s efforts, which were therefore considered inadequate to develop another car.
In 1948, the front was updated thanks to a central strip in the shield the two side grilles are bordered by a chassis that precisely marks the formal element. A comparison with the next version the most important update is implemented on the "1950 model" in the fall of 1949: the large rear window and second side light lengthened, to further increase visibility and functionality; even design of the rims and hubcaps change. A standard radio, more efficient heating system and new seat padding, cigarette lighters and 6.00x18 tyres are installed.
Looking at the car it is easy to understand why this splendid 6C 2500 was nicknamed "Gabbona" (bunchback) designed at Alfa by Ferruccio Palamidessi and Giuseppe Scarnati, supervised by Raimondo Gatti and Ivo Colucci.