Alfa-Romeo 6C2500 Sport Pininfarina cabriolet
Introduced in 1938, the 2500 (2443 cc) was the last 6C road car. The passage from the 6C 2300B to the 6C 2500 involves negligible differences: the mechanical solutions remains practically unchanged, the 2mm increase in the engine stroke is the only major change, while the new design reflects a rare conservatism. Due to slight changes in the design of the grille and now even greater momentum, due to the choice of the “Long” 2300B, 3250mm, first used to build limousines. It was produced until then end WWII when it replaced by the “Freccia d`Oro”.
World War II was coming and car development was stopped, but a few hundred 6C 2500s were built from 1940 to 1945. Post-war, the first new Alfa model was the 1946 6C 2500 Freccia d'Oro (Golden Arrow), of which 680 were built through 1951, with bodies by Alfa. The 2500 had enlarged engine compared to the predecessor model, this Vittorio Jano designed double overhead cam engine was available either one or three Weber carburettors. The triple carburettor version was used in the top of line SS (Super Sport) version. The 2443 cc engine was mounted to a steel ladder frame chassis, which was offered with three wheelbase lengths: 3,250 mm (128.0 in) on the Turismo, 3,000 mm (118.1 in) on the Sport and 2,700 mm (106.3 in) on the Super Sport. In relations to the bodies of the official range, it was decided to continue producing sedans in Alfa, the coupe versions were to be th prerogative of Touring, while convertibles and roadsters will be produced by Pininfarina. But in reality this was not always so. Various coachbuilders made their own versions of the 2500, like Ghia, Graber, Bertone, Boneschi.
The 2500 was one of the most expensive cars available at its own time. The last 6C was produced in 1952, and was replaced by the 1900.
One of the first Super Sport chassis in 1939 was made by Pininfarina, by designer Mario Revelli, 2-seater convertible in front, instead of Alfa badge, was the rectangular logo “256”. It was produced in some models, for export to Germany.
Pininfarina convertible had “bow” front and side design previously adopted on the Super Sport is now applied to the Sport, not so obvious because the longer wheelbase created many problems for the top body shops that often still opted for the side in separate volumes. In 1942 the front, though horizontal strips are changed, but the novelty lies precisely in the side: lower slope to be taken by the rise of the front fender along the side loses that aggressiveness the first SS model had. The logo “256” disappears, now only mounting the Alfa badge. The different position of the headlights and single windscreen. The main difference lies instead in the front. The grill is embedded in a single piece, from the bumpers to the horizontal strips that mask engine vents; small bump in the middle perhaps want to stylize an Alfa shield.
Its direct evolution is the end of 1943 and beginning 1944, practically no models are built. The various elements of the grille find their rightful place; the bumper is separated while the horizontal elements, now free from the bow snout that ends at mid-height, can run along the entire front uninterrupted. Horizontal strips that make up the front and are no longer mere ornaments. The rise of the door is now more developed in height, the side is rising represents an important step in the evolution of style that will lead the complete absorption of the volume of the front fender into the door itself.
In the middle of 1944 Pininfarina re-adopted the archaic treatment of the side in separate volumes. The hood cover is now visible while once closed, it creates a false canvas pillar that is significantly more challenging that once used on the Super Sport since now having to cover back seats. Majestic grill curved so perfectly to follow the design. The vertical strips are tightly knit, air barely passes so that two side openings must necessarily have lower resistance to air flow.
1946 is an important year: the conversation is finally made to integral side that willstay with us fron now on and the practically permanent lines are drawn for the front that will become the “standart” for the “oficial” Sport and Super Sport convertibles sold to the Alfa Romeo dealers.
An additional step forward is made: in Septembers 1946, the month before the first pictures of the Fresca d`Oro were taken, Alfa will have its outfitters adopt unified Alfa shield with the horizontal strips; alongside four simple borders that mask small additional air intakes. The most innovation lies in the side where groove almost touches the door handle, it cancels out the two volumes of the fenders to create a new design, in which the independent volumes vanish completely. The headlights on the Super Sport acquire the famous “eyelid” that will be until the end of production. In February 1946 some cars in the style, going back to the Revelli model six years before; one peace hood, where the “nose” of the bow front ideally continues along the full height of the nose. Above was slight hint pf the Alfa shield.
The orders for the only car available, the 6C 2500, will be divided among various body shops: Alfa decided to start its own production for 6-seater sedan Fresca d`Oro, which, given is characteristic sporty qualities, became more of a berlinetta with the true Alfa flair; Pininfarina, specialising in convertibles, was rarely distracted with other types. In 1948 proposed the car as an intermediate link between the standard berlinetta and the ministerial limousines. A stylish and overall sporty sedan, feeling conveyed by that slightly tilted front, the voluminous and aerodynamic mudguards, the small and low windows and elusive tail.
After making the coupe and berlinetta with a smooth side, Pininfarina re-proposed the exact combination, updating the design, mainly in the front now characterised by a mor horizontal and larger shield, the second side light, bumper guards and large stripe along the side are added. The large number production of the Pininfarina considering both the time and market range were produced between Sport and Super Sport. Two secondary lights give way to mere ornaments while the strips next to shield extend along the whole front, one lowers, to the edge of the bumpers, almost hidden with an elegant strip set between them ending with the tail light. The side is resigned reducing, while lifting, the saddle between the volume of the front fender and rear one; an elegant “Revelli type” handle also finds it place, flush to the door. The coordination between both convertible versions, Sport and Super Sport, reaches its apex when Alfa is establishes a real guideline to be met.
In 1949 the Pininfarina design was chose as a spacious four-door sedan. To standardise the chassis, the Turismo type, unpopular given its use as ministerial or parade cars, disappeared. A special version was design on a Sport type chassis. Built on the new chassis, this elegant and sporty sedan stood out as the last Alfa version to complete wide 6C 2500 range. After initial version at the end of 1949, with two grilles next to the shield, the second version, dated 1950, that marks a significant milestone in the Alfa sedan style evolution.
New Pininfarina convertible presented on May 4, 1950 at the Turin motor show was skilfully updated. The separate volumes are intentionally highlighted by an utterly surprising element: the strip that runs along the side-front mudguard from the door to become, in the end, a body with its own volume. Special berlinetta was built in September 1950 taken from the design of convertible. The convertible is still “old school” with a style division between the front and rear mudguards, while in the coupe, it has a single, continuous and sculpted side. The unified Alfa shield and modern four lights to it.
Pininfarina last exercise in style for the sport berlinetta on the Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 Sport built on the chassis with a 1950 forward engine. In the front the studs on the hood return, guards and secondary lights added to the grille, the latter now expertly tilted slightly backwards. The feature shared by all models was the beautiful integral hubcaps.
The 2500 Pininfarina was manufactured during the Second World War on the 1943, when “Alfa Romeo” manufacture was adjusted to build technology for the needs of the army. The vehicles of the 1943 make only had their chassis and the transmission parts assembled on the production line, however, the body and interior design was done by the Italian design studio Pininfarina.