Assembling and final tests

We started assembling of the chassis first installing rear axle. Rear axle was attached to the frame by means of new spring packages.

Front axle was assembled onto the frame using restored components.

Front suspension was composed using restored torsion bars.

We used new ball joints and ball joint seals assembling steering system.

Main brake cylinder as well as new braking system piping was installed onto the chassis. Restored components were used for hand brake assembling.

Now chassis got the wheels and ability to roll.

Restored shock absorbers completed suspension system.

Engine paired with gearbox was installed onto the frame using new reinforced engine supports

Restored oil filter housing, distributor and carburettors were installed onto the engine continuing assembling process.

Braking system restoration was completed installing new rubber brake hoses.

Chassis was prepared for body installation.

Restored propeller shaft was installed into the place.

All wires and pipes were arranged along the frame rails.

Elastic joints of the exhaust pipes were damaged. New elastic elements of the exhaust system were fabricated and installed.

Body was separated from the rig which served during repair and painting process.

Chassis was prepared for body installation.

Restored body finally was attached to the frame.

As body was fixed to the frame remaining steering system components were attached.

Restored structural components of the passenger compartment were returned to the place.

Restored floor panels were fixed into the dedicated place.

Restored rear bumpers were returned to the place.

Dashboard wiring was prepared for instrument panel installation.

New rear wiring harness was placed in the body.

Batteries were installed and connected to the electrical system.

Restored heater unit was installed and connected to the heating system.

New frame was produced for additional cooling fan installation.

Rear external lighting devices were installed into the places.

All front lamps ere fixed into the place.

Restored windscreen was returned to the place.

Battery boxes were laid down with rubber layer.

Power cables were led to the battery boxes and connected to new master switch.

Missing engine tunnel hatch was fabricated and installed.

Restored lamps and numberplate base were installed at the rear.

Luggage compartment lock and number plate illumination lamp were installed.

New soft top studs were screwed into the body.

New chromed windscreen defrosting outlet surrounds were installed.

Restored dash panel was installed.

We finished wiring installation in the engine compartment.

All components of the electrical system were installed in the engine compartment.

New chromed parts were fixed onto the doors.

New door strikers and packing was installed.

We manufactured and installed towing device.

Supplementary fan and control box was installed.

New breathing pipe was installed.

Air filter housings were painted before installation.

Assembling of the engine was completed as air filters were in place.

Dash panel was installed and all electrical components were connected to the wiring harness.

Attachment device for Terratrip was manufactured.

New roadster roof front bows were fabricated.

Cleaned roadster roof frame was painted.

Restored top hooding was attached to the frame.

Installation of roof lining was finished installing roof onto the car and nailing top to the new bows.

Front lamp indicators were installed.

New pushbuttons were installed.

Carpets were laid into luggage compartment.

Terratrip for navigator was installed.

Restored door trim panels were attached to the doors.

Restored seats were installed.

As main braking cylinder was replaced we started preparations to the driving trials adjusting various car systems.

As specific BPF bulbs were received we completed headlamp final installation and adjustments.

Accessories and tools were placed on the dedicated brackets in the luggage compartment.

All light signalling devices and other components of the electrical system were checked and adjusted before test runs started.

Our most experienced classic car driver took the car for the first ride after restoration.

As test drive was completed all admonitions were put on the list and corresponding actions were planned.

Most serious was note about inefficient work of dynamo on low engine revs. Electrical tests were completed and it was confirmed that alternator do not provide enough voltage on low revs.

Measuring speed of dynamo shaft it was noticed that problem is created by dynamo drive, so device was completely removed for more detailed inspection.

Dynamo belt pulley was broken along the weld seem - both halves of pulley were separated influencing belt tension. Broken pulley was replaced to eliminate problem.

As dynamo problem was solved, test drive program was continued.

As test program successfully was completed, all necessary maintenance works were accomplished. All joints and restored components were checked preparing a car for hand-over procedure.

Restoration of XK120 was finished and car was ready for delivery to the owner.

to top